The GPS card firmware can be upgraded through the Topcon receiver utility, TRU. This is to be used if you have not succeed using the .to / .tx files. For this you will need a RS232 cable to a Windows PC. As well as download TRU from the package sent to you. This process will have to be done one card at a time and should take no more than 20 minutes.
You will have been sent:
- TRU installer
- Connect to the serial port
The RS232 serial connector on the RT1003 can be plugged in to a PC using the USB to serial cable, with a null modem.
Configure the unit with NAVconfig and add these lines in Options->Advanced, where [X] should be 1 for primary receiver and 2 for secondary receiver:
If you are using an xNAV550 then the commands will be as below, nothing else should change:
- Topcon receiver utility set up
- Launch the Topcon Receiver Utility and set Device->Application mode-> Firmware Loading.
- Go to Device->Connect. Under Port Name, select the COM port to which the RT is connected, and click 'Connect' (e.g. COM1 if connected to the serial port of the PC, probably another port if using a USB converter).
- If the Utility connected to the receiver Device->Connect will be disabled and Device->Disconnect will be enabled. Do not press anything, just confirm that the connection exists.
- Uploading the firmware
- Double click Firmware Loading
- The Utility will show the current firmware on the receiver. Confirm it is an old version that needs to be updated.
- Press Next. The following screen will ask to browse for 2 files with the new firmware. Select ldr for the loader and ldp for the image.
- Press Next, and firmware upload will start. This will take a few minutes. Do not interrupt the process.
- A message that firmware update is successful will follow:
- The device will disconnect at this time.
- Checking the firmware
- Change the Device mode to receiver managing (previously, Firmware update): Device -> Application mode -> Receiver managing
- Connect to device Device ->Connect
- Double click Information and check that the Firmware version is up to date:
- Optional, unless the file mobile.cfg will be erased anyway:
- Open configuration with NAVconfig and remove the lines in Advanced Options -serial1_input_mode_gps[X] and -serial1_output_mode_gps[X]. Then commit changes on the unit.
- Second card
Repeat steps 2 – 5 for the second card, changing the commands in the configuration for the other card.
If you are still experiencing problems, contact support firstname.lastname@example.org +44(0)1869 814 251