This guide will go over the basic functionality of using and configuring the surface tilt function found in NAVdisplay.
The role and pitch measurements that are output by the RT are taken relative to a plane normal to the direction of gravity. In order to change this and have your role and pitch measurements relative to some flat surface you can use this function.
What this tool does is that it gives the RT and enough information so that it can calculate a flat plane according to its own orientation. One major thing that will affect this measurement process is the suspension of the vehicle. It is important that when you perform this test that you either:
- Use a survey trolley to take the measurements
- Drive slowly at a constant speed when taking the measurements
Before making a measurement you should ensure that the setup of the RT in the vehicle is as optimised as can be by performing a warm-up and using the get settings option. For more on this please refer to the Get Settings guide
After setting up the RT and performing a warm-up run, open up the surface tilt tool. This can be done in the following way:
- Via NAVdisplay. Click Utilities and Quick Config, then select the unit you wish to configure and navigate to the surface tilt page
- The recommended maximum speed is 3m/s (7mph, 10km/h) or less
- Select either a clockwise or an anti-clockwise circle from the dropdown list box and then then click the “Start” button
- Now start driving in a circle at a low constant speed. This speed should be no higher than the recommended maximum speed mentioned above. Drive until the progress bar is complete
- The first half circle is just used for finding a constant speed and will be displayed on the map as a thin line to represent the warm up period.
- Once the first half circle is completed the remaining circle will be recorded and used to calculate the surface tilt. This circle will be displayed on the map as a series of plotted points
- Once the exercise is completed click the “Next >” button
- The measurements in the red box are the ones that are used to calculate the surface tilt. Make sure to the tick box in the green area is ticked to ensure the settings are used
- The options in the blue box will determine whether the settings are used only for the current period of measurement until the RT is either shut off or reset, or you can commit the settings so there remembered for subsequent measurements